Monday, March 21, 2011

Leila's Happy Birthday Banner

It’s my nieces "Sweet 15" party on Monday. Perfect opportunity to make a banner. I’ve been itchin’ to make one of these Banners for quite a while now.  Nothing like leaving things to the last minute... so I went digging through my mom's old sewing stuff and hit pay-dirt. A box full of laces, seam bindings, tulling and many more bits and bobs I will be using in the future, they already have the "vintage" thing going on... LOL!

I used one of the cotton crocheted laces and dyed it with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist - Twilight. I just poured a little of the mist into a glass bowl and soaked the lace until all the mist was absorbed. Then I spritz’d it a couple times with water to give it a more stippled and shabby look.

In order to speed up the process I just threw the wet lace into the dryer. It came out all crinkly, so I pulled out my straightening iron (yup, the one I use for my hair - works great!), heated it up and ironed the lace... I absolutely love the results and will definitely be doing this again with a few other colors of TA Glimmer Mist. I love, love this product!
I really like how the banner turned out. The colours have a soft vintage feel and the lace, ribbon and sliver pearls give it a very elegant look. Perfect for a teenage girl. I didn't hang the "Happy" my sister is on her way to pick up all the party decorations... phew, just finished in time!
And to keep the invited guests busy we put together a lil scrapbooking project, which I found on Making Memories blog just this morning - Je t'Adore Gatefold Album by Leah Fung - Woo Hoo! It's so beautiful and perfect for a teen girl's birthday party. However, instead of making the whole album we will just make the gatefold album cover and place a 4x6 notepad on the inside (time restrictions).

Isn't it absolutely gorgeous! Can't believe the timing on this post from Making Memories. Thank you, thank you, thank you! They even have the tutorial on how to make those gorgeous flowers on their blog post. I know the girls will be having a grand time making this project.

SUPPLIES FOR BANNER:
Paper: white card stock with printed music sheet image from Free Music Sheet and inked with Anna Griffith - Robin's Egg; and miscellaneous pieces of cardstock. Ribbons are from Offray and are 5/8" - the colors used are Iris & Light Pink, along with Silver Pearl Strings glued above the dyed cotton lace. I used 5" - lace paper doilies inked with Stampology - Aquamarine (i love their inks for distressing).  Letters were cut with the Cricut using the Base Camp cartridge and then embossed with silver embossing powder. Buttons - pink, purple and aquamarine. I used a hot glue gun to keep it all together, went a lot faster than using my glue runner (cheaper too). Circles and scalloped circles were made with the Mini Monograms Cricut cartridge, so quick and easy. An EK Success Punch - Embossed Curve was used for the scalloped edge on top of the pennant.
Note: the music sheets were chosen especially for my niece, who plays piano and guitar, and has a real love for music.

So sorry about the photos, i know they are not great, but I've misplaced my battery charger for my Nikon DSLR and so I'm using my point and shoot - sigh! And yeah I know my blogging stinks too LOL! Still discovering how all this stuff works ;)

1 comment:

  1. I always love looking at your work, and this banner is soooo CUTE! I LOVE it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate each one. All replies will be in the comment section, please check back to read them once I figure out how to use Blogger - LOL!